Monday, August 18, 2008

First Grader

Well, i had my meltdown today! I am not sure why today, but it could have to do with danny and I trying to find something for Canton to take his lunch money to school in. When I was a kid, I took my lunch money in a film canister. Can you even buy film anymore ;) Of course, these days you can "create an account" and pay for it all online and such, but of course, we will have to wait to do that at the beginning of next month. Anyways, I am all worried that he will lose his money or he will be the only child with cash and all the other "buyers" will have the "account". And he has to keep up with two dollars AND five cents! Why can't it just be 2 dollars even? Why do they have to throw in a nickel? (much less if I send $3, he will have 95 cents to keep up with-ugh)
He wants to buy his lunch the first day because the menu says chicken filet sandwhich. I KNOW he thinks that means Chick-fil-A sandwhich! I have total faith in his teacher! She has done this for years and has had many many students. My child is not the first to enter first grade! But, I know my child better than anyone! When he walks up the lunch line and the sandwhich ISNT chick-fil-a, his head is going to drop. AND I would know why! Then, i would be able to say "its ok, we can go to chick-fil-a sometime for lunch. and of course, he may not even notice and he will love the sandwich (i hope they have mayonnaise for them).
So, I started bawling and my wonderful husband asked me why. I told him that nobody loves him as much as we do and that nobody cares for him as much as we do! And that I can not stand the thought of sending him to someone else all day every day. I am the one who is supposed to be there for him! Danny has so much faith, and he told me that Canton is God's, not ours. (crying so hard now). And that this is a step in helping Canton learn how to survive in this world when he and I are old. I know I know, I am such a baby! I understand that, but its still hard! Canton will love school and his teacher will love him! He will have fun and he will love his lunches, mostly. I will miss him terribly during the day, but I am thankful to God that we have a healthy little boy who GETS to start first grade.
Oh, and by the way, danny told him it won't be chick-fil-a, but something like they make there and Canton said "ya, ok!" He will be fine! Me, on the other hand, yea, I will be fine. It wont be easy, but I will be fine! (thank goodness Callon is just on the waiting list, and I am not sending him the first day too- I may have to be sedated!!!)

9 comments:

Gena said...

Thanks for making me cry, too. You are such a good mom. That little outgoing boy of yours is going to be just fine. It may take a week or two to get the lunch thing down, but he will get it. I'll say a prayer for you on Wednesday.

The Lj's said...

I will say a little prayer for you all... Canton will do great- he is such a wonderful child! I wish he was in my class again!

jenn b said...

Breaks my heart! I have had lots of those meltdowns too lately and Kaylas only going half day! What really got me the other day was when I realized I wouldn't see her in chapel anymore. :( I know this is how it's supposed to be but it's so hard to let go even just a little. You're in my thoughts and prayers!

Summer said...

Oh my goodness. And to think I was crying last night because I don't want Mia to go to Sonshine school (I was also crying because I am sooo worried that Bode is going to get kicked out but that's another story. I will be praying for you on that one!). Danny is right, they are not ours but I can't seem to grasp the concept of holding them with open arms - I want to hold them with clenched fists.

Micah and Tara Hobbs said...

Lesley - you are a wonderful mom. I was in tears reading your struggle to send Canton to school. In a smaller way I am feeling that about sending Kaison to SSS. (But I KNOW he will have a great teacher!!) Good luck as Canton starts school - I'll be thinking about you this week.

Unknown said...

I loved reading your post. I think we all struggle with letting our children go. He will be fine and he will love school. I am sending Cole to school this year. My baby. Now both boys will be in school, now that is hard for me as well. On a side not, you can send a check to school and give it to the office secretary and she will forward it on to the lunch lady and they will create an account for him and he will not have to worry about carting money to school. You can write it for what ever amount he needs. At least that is how it is at Chisholm. That may help just a little bit of your worry.

DeeDee said...

Your post was so sweet. It may seem so hard now, but it will get easier. However Caleb is going into 4th grade which means in 2 years I will be crying that he will be in middle school. So for now I am ok with him, but now I am really sad that that my little baby is going to Pre-K everyday.

If only we could stop time at this moment.

The Davidsons said...

My meltdown is coming shortly. I'm trying to not think about it until tomorrow. I can't believe they are going to be gone all day. But, just think, they are going to have so much fun! I'll be saying a prayer for you tomorrow.

The Fullmer Family said...

You are so cute! (With tears in my eyes!) I can identify! I made the personal choice to go back to work about two years sooner than I had originally planned. I took Kenidee to "school" last week and almost cried! I am very thankful that she is in the Lutheran childcare center that is an extension of the Lutheran school that I teach at. I know they will take very good care of her but it was still hard. Thankfully they will bring her to me everyday after school! God is taking care of all of us during this trying time! I put up a bulletin board in my room that says, "Don't worry about anything, pray about everything. Philippians 4:6" I love this verse however I think it's more for me than those cute kindergartners I'm going to be entrusted with!!